This is where I do my software development (unless I’m on-site in a cubicle somewhere).
I love working in my home office and find it to be an extremely effective and efficient environment for writing software!
- Fast Intel i7 CPU at 4 GHz
- 32 GB of RAM
- 1 TB SSD for boot & temporary storage
- Dual 4TB hard drives in RAID-1 for data storage
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 for driving my main 4K monitor
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti for driving my 2 additional monitors
- Main monitor is 55″ 4K which allows me to see A LOT OF CODE at once
- Two secondary monitors for references or other information
- Indirect, subdued lighting so the focus is the monitors
- Music with a strong beat (electronic, industrial or metal) for motivation
Though normally the computer is sitting on the right side of the desk, not on top. My motherboard failed last week and I had to replace it. Historically I’ve preferred AMD based systems but decided to give Intel a try for the last upgrade. That has gone very poorly resulting in yet another hardware failure (see my previous post AMD vs Intel) .
I’m waiting for the 3rd generation of AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors to become available (hopefully later this year) for my next upgrade. Those are a game changer with all of their extra I/O bandwidth. I’ll also upgrade to a M.2 PCIe main drive and 64 GB of RAM at the same time. Should be nice.